Reach Your Audience With The Power of Influencers.
This isn’t the first time that we’re hearing about how influencer marketing is a powerful business strategy. Instead of targeting one specific audience with their messages, businesses can reach out to key influencers in their industries to act as spokespeople for their brands. It’s been utilized by many different industries before, but influencers are now making an appearance in healthcare marketing.
What Is an Influencer?
As the name suggests, an influencer is defined as “someone who affects or changes the way that people behave.” By this definition, an influencer can be anybody that you determine has the power to influence the decision making of another—whether that’s your customers, your coworkers, or your family. More often than not, influencers are activists, experts, public figures, or trendsetters. An influencer can even be someone with a large following on social media, just as long as their content is relevant to your healthcare brand.
Why Use Influencers in Healthcare Marketing?
A survey completed by QuintilesIMS Institute for Healthcare Informatics found that:
- 70-75% of internet users will go online for treatment options and side effects
- 42% use social media to find out about healthcare issues
- 25% discussed a health-related issue online
- 20% joined an online community or forum
Patients are more engaged than ever when it comes to their healthcare. They’re researching their symptoms, side effects, and any specialists in their areas. If they have questions about their healthcare or simply want somebody to talk to, there are communities online that are actively discussing, reviewing and debating this information already. Healthcare professionals have also taken to social media for both their personal and professional lives. Doctors, dentists, psychologists, medical retailers and other healthcare professionals are very active online—and they’re likely connected with other experts in their industries. They’re using popular sites like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and Instagram to share information about their businesses and professional experiences.
With everyone from patients to healthcare experts taking their conversations online, it’s an excellent opportunity for healthcare marketers to tap into. Identifying patient influencers and allowing them to share your information on their social media profiles will help spread your message to their audiences as well. Influencers have a good understanding of what topics their niche audiences are interested in. They know what content to share and how to share it in a way that makes it engaging.
How Can I Implement Influencer Marketing?
There’s no denying that a well-executed influencer marketing campaign can bring a lot of business to your doorstep through word of mouth. However, there are a few things you need to consider before you start planning:
- Understand your audience. Knowing who to approach starts with understanding the audience you want to target. Find out what platforms they’re using to search for healthcare information, who they’re following and what content they’re interested in seeing.
- Find the best fit. Don’t focus on finding influencers based on how many followers they have. Instead, focus on finding individuals who fit in with the brand, such as clinical partners, experts in your field or those who suffer from a specific ailment. Influencer marketing is not about celebrity endorsements; it’s about relaying your message in an authentic way.
- Identify your goals. Healthcare marketers need to know how to measure the success of their campaigns. There are many business objectives that an influencer marketing campaign can achieve. Whether its brand awareness, product sales or patient referrals, it’s important to have a clear understanding of what success is going to look like.
- Check regulations. Just as there are regulations for healthcare marketing and advertising on social media, there are rules surrounding influencer marketing initiatives for healthcare as well. Be sure to check the regulations in your region before developing your influencer marketing campaign.
Whitehead Agency Group is a leading healthcare marketing agency with over 25 years of specialized health and wellness experience. Start profiting from the new age of consumer-driven healthcare with marketing that clicks. Contact us today at (416) 365-6884 or by emailing us at email@example.com to arrange a complimentary, no-obligation review of your current marketing and the steps we would take to increase brand awareness, maximize web traffic, engage your followers and boost your bottom line.